Re: how to start Oracle 8i DB automatically

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2002 18:38:40 -0700

g_palgrave_at_yahoo.com (GP) wrote in message news:<680a4735.0207101940.7dfa255b_at_posting.google.com>...
> ashrivastava_at_auriga-insys.com (Anand) wrote in message news:<396cc940.0207100303.4258a6bc_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I am using Oracle 8i on an Win2K machine. The problem is that each
> > time I boot my machine I have to manually start the database by using
> > DBA Studio.
> > I looked into Administrative Tools->Services. All Oracle related
> > services mentioned there are set to Automatic except
> > OracleManagermentServer (here it is "manual").
> > My DB is named "Demist" and there is a service named
> > "OracleServiceDemist" and its status-type is set to "Automatic", but
> > status is set to "Starting" by default (whereas for other services it
> > is "Started").
> > Please help!
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Anand
>
> Anand,
>
> Something like this should work (haven't used it on Win2k though):
>
> D:\Oracle_NT\Ora816se\bin\oradim -edit -sid Demist -startmode auto
>
> The Oracle service has to be told to start your database
> automatically, otherwise you have to do it every time.
>
> Check the oradim doco for details.
>
> Cheers,
> GP

Assuming you have set your service log on account correctly.

Even if your service startup is set to "Automatic", your database will not open when the service is started *IF* the registry value at HKLM\Software\Oracle\Home<x>\ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART is set to FALSE. Atleast up until patchset 8.1.7.3, this value is set to FALSE by default when you create your database. Change this value to TRUE.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Jul 12 2002 - 03:38:40 CEST

Original text of this message