Re: Security - keeping data separate

From: David Smith <davidsmith633_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Jul 2002 07:11:31 -0700

Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<B94BA038.38A79%markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>...

> Look into Virtual Private Database - VPD - see
> http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/oracle8i/pdf/vpd_wp6.pdf

Thanks for that. I see that Orcale 9i also supports VPD.

Unfortunately this feature is only available in the Enterprise edition (as with nearly all the cool stuff!!!)

For a company which cannot afford the high cost of these licences, can anyone recommend a more simplistic approach that will provide some degree of data separation using the Standard Edition?

(I should add that the solution I proposed earlier, with separate tables for each company on whom data is held, would make it harder to do queries across multiple companies for the administrator. This would perhaps involve a view, which I don't think can be optimized as well as queries on tables.)

Thanks,
David. Received on Sun Jul 07 2002 - 16:11:31 CEST

Original text of this message