Re: Opinions for this storage parameters.

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 05:58:58 +1000

"Fernando Ruza" <fruza_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3d8dfca3.0207030850.5b1de75d_at_posting.google.com...
> Well, first thanks for the replys.
>
> The examples was not the best ones. I chose a very small tables
> however I also
> have big tables and I do the same analysis. The analysis was what I
> wanted to
> evaluate with the post.
>
> Right, I used PCTINCREASE to 1 for the reason that Christopher said.
> Also I like the Table Extent Sizes for at least 64k and multiples of
> it. Also I like the Richard example for several tablespaces with
> default storage parameters for big, medium and small tables.
>
> However, I have decided to use locally-managed tablespaces because
> everybody agrees that the performace it's better.

I don't! LMTs are wonderful things, because they largely eliminate the worry about numbers of extents, and guarantee no fragmentation. But as for performance -forget it. Unless you have horrible contention on the data dictionary tables used to allocate extents in dictionary managed tablespaces, then you won't see much of a performance boost.

>However, with this
> kind of tablespaces I don't know if it's worth to use the storage
> parameters when I create a table/index,

Not really. Just 'create table X (column type, colum type) tablespace X; If you specify a storage clause, mostly it's ignored anyway if X happens to be locally managed. However, note that PCTFREE and PCTUSED are not part of the storage clause, and still need to be thought about carefully, and specified (like I just didn't!).

>also the PCTFREE and PCTUSED
> parameters. I think all of the extents are of the same size, however
> for some big tables I would like to include all the rows in one big
> extent so that I would like to choose the size of this ones. Can I do
> this ??

No, and why would you want to? The *entire* point of LMTs is that you are freed from worrying about this sort of issue. And trying to put everything in one extent gets you what, exactly? Nothing, is the answer.

>I'm trying to find some documentation about this but I would
> prefer to hear your experience opinions.
>
> These are the commands I plan to use to create the locally-managed
> tablespaces:
>
> CREATE TABLESPACE DATA
> DATAFILE '/home/oracle/u01/oradata/axialdb/data01.dbf'
> SIZE 500M
> AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 25M
> MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
> EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 1M;

Autoextension of data files is a big, big no-no, if you value performance. Of course, if convenience is more what you're after, then at least you've remembered to set NEXT. I would not set MAXSIZE unlimited, however. There are known bugs when Oracle tries to push the file size beyond various limits (4Gb seems to be common).

Regards
HJR

> > Hi Christopher,
> >
> > Regarding PCTINCREASE = 1
> >
> > I've been described by various DBAs in sunny Canberra as a realistic
 twit
> > (I've been called worse but we won't go there) over discussions on this
> > subject.
> >
> > With regard to Dictionary Managed Tablespaces I've followed this basic
> > philosophy. Don't use the following storage clauses when defining an
 object
> > (INITIAL, NEXT, PCTINCREASE), leave it to the default storage clause of
 the
> > tablespace you place the object in. Set the default storage clause of
 the
> > tablespace such that INITIAL and NEXT are the same (lets say 10M) and
> > PCTINCREASE = 0.
> >
> > Now, EVERY object that lives in the tablespace has EXACTLY the same
 sized
> > extents. If I were to drop an object, I leave ONLY 10M "holes" in the
> > tablespace. And you're absolutely correct, SMON doesn't automatically
> > coalesce such a tablespace (because it's default PCTINCREASE = 0). But,
 so
> > what ? If as you describe an object needs to extend, it will either
 reuse
> > EXACTLY one of the holes previously left behind or use a new piece of
 the
> > tablespace. However, fragmentation is NOT going to be an issue to me. So
> > SMON, put your feet up and relax for a while.
> >
> > But the non believers cry, what if I only have a small table. 10M is way
 too
> > big and would waste space. Then it gets assigned to another tablespace
 (with
> > default storage of INITIAL and NEXT set to say 64K) where they are also
> > sized exactly the same without wasting space.
> >
> > INITIAL and NEXT are still vital considerations when defining a table.
 The
> > only difference is that I pick an appropriate tablespace rather than
 picking
> > an appropriate storage clause. I actually believe that setting
 PCTINCREASE
> > to 1 is possibly the worst value to set it to as it kinda guarantees
 objects
> > being created of all manner of sizes.
> >
> > In my view, Locally Managed Tablespaces kinda supports this approach as
 it
> > automatically implements such a philosophy (when used with the uniform
> > clause). When using LMT, this discussion is no longer relevant.
> >
> > I'm sure this has been discussed many times here but the non believers
 are
> > still out there and I'm still an idealistic twit !!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > "Christopher Merry" <merryct_at_constructingbits.com> wrote in message
> > > Just wanted to add a couple of comments to those already mentioned. I
 don't
> > > think you really need to over-analyze the settings though!
> > >
> > > 1) Table Extent Sizes (in general)
> > >
> > > I would take a look at your table extents (not so much for this table
 but
> > > for future reference). If Oracle decides to perform a full-table
 scan, a
> > > single fetch returns the value of DB_MULTI_BLOCK_READ_COUNT *
 DB_BLOCK_SIZE.
> > > The defaults for these values results in 64k [DMBRC (8) *
 DB_BLOCK_SIZE
 (8k)
> > > = 64k]. That is the reason it is very common to set extent sizes to
 the
> > > value of 64k. In general, you are better off setting your extent
 sizes in
> > > multiples of this value (64k, 128k, 256k, etc).
> > >
> > > 2) PCTINCREASE value of 1
> > >
> > > The PCTINCREASE value of 1 is not necessarily a bad idea. It just
 depends
> > > on the circumstances. The only reason I use this setting is when I am
> > > dealing with a dictionary managed tablespace. This value will force
 SMON
> > > coalesce the tablespace freespace periodically (any value greater than
 0
> > > causes this).
> > >
> > > Here is the scenario when I like this value:
> > > Typically, allocation of a new extents takes place during an INSERT
> > > operation. Many times, the INSERT takes place during more active
 times of
> > > the day. (Of course not always but it stands to reason that more
 INSERT
> > > will take place during busier times of the day) During this extent
> > > allocation, if Oracle cannot find sufficient freespace (dictionary
 managed)
> > > SMON performs freespace coalescence. This is not an optimal time for
 this
> > > operation. If SMON has already coalesced the freespace at a more
 convenient
> > > time, it MAY save a bit of processing at the moment. Of course this
 is
 not
> > > a huge deal, but it is one philosophy.
> > >
> > > By the way, a PCTINCREASE of 1 is not going to cause tremendous growth
 of
> > > the future extents, but it is a bit of an annoyance if you are a very
> > > structured DBA that expects to see certain NEXT value patterns.
> > >
> > > 3) PCTFREE for an index
> > >
> > > This setting is really only used to setup the index. Once the index
 has
> > > been created and Oracle begins its "balancing act", Oracle over-rides
 the
> > > original PCTFREE value.
> > >
> > > It is nice to see someone taking the time to setup their environment
 with
> > > careful forethought. So many times I have seen nothing more than
 Oracle's
> > > default storage parameters used.
> > >
> > > cm
> > >

> > > "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message

 Unfortunately
 many
 options.

 wrong