Re: Porting Transact-SQL to Oracle SQL

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:06:28 GMT

Wes Gamble wrote:

> Can anyone point to some easy to use resources for porting from SQL
> Server specific SQL (runs on SS7/SS2000) to Oracle SQL?
>
> I imagine that Oracle has a decent migration guide that I should look at.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Wes Gamble

There are tools. You can find information about them at:

http://technet.oracle.com
http://otn.oracle.com
http://docs.oracle.com

as well as their main site.

Jim Kennedy is absolutely correct. and my advice would be, based on supporting the movement of many applications from SQL Server to Oracle, don't use the migration tools.

Oracle is not SQL Server sold by another company. The architecture is completely different. Code that works fine in SQL Server will likely limit performance and scalability in Oracle. Worse yet ... perfectly valid SQL Server code will corrupt data in Oracle ... and the reverse is true as well.

My suggestion is that you purchase "Expert one-on-one Oracle" written by Tom Kyte and read it cover-to-cover with special attention paid to the first three chapters.

If you aren't going to do it right ... don't do it at all.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 17:06:28 CEST

Original text of this message