Re: Porting Transact-SQL to Oracle SQL

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:06:58 GMT

Best bet is to look at the otn.oracle.com and then documentation. Look at the pl/sql reference. For SQL you can look in the same place but the sql reference manual. It is all online. It depends what version of Oracle you are using. A couple of hints:
1. autonumber->sequences and a trigger lots of references on this newsgroup. A little searching will get you a ton of info. 2. temp tables-> in Oracle you usually do NOT need to create a temp table. If you absolutely feel you can't do it any other way then consider global temporary tables.
3. In Oracle readers do not block writers and writers do not block readers. The transaction model is well much different. 4. Views are not evil or bad.
5. Searching is case sensitive. If you want to search without regard to case then use a function based index and upper the column and the data coming in. (eg select .. from mytable where upper(myField)=upper(ThingToSearchOn)... 6. asktom.oracle.com is a great site. Visit frequently and search you will learn a lot and great examples.
7. Use bind variables and not literals.
8. If you want something in a particular sort order then specify it in the sql statement.
That should get you started.
Jim