Re: multiple listeners

From: jobowker <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2002 06:15:57 GMT

I see no reason for separate listeners for ech database. You gain nothing, and it makes it more of a maintenance nightmare. If you've ever been in an environment with 50-60 instances and someone told you that each and every one had its own listener, you can see how it may not be a good thing. When you want to see the status, you can no longer just type 'lsnrctl status' - you have to do lsnrctl status listener_sid1, lsnrctl status listener_sid2, etc. Don't assume that because it was set up that way that it is the correct way to do it. Many shops when they first go Oracle tend to dump the stuff in the lap of their tehcnical person, and he or she is expected to get all of this new oracle stuff up and running. That is why in any given place, you can generally tell which environments were set up first, as it is clear they didn't follow common practices. Listeners were made to handle multiple instances, so there is no good reason I can see to have multiple listeners unless you are doing one listener per Oracle_home, which makes sense. I am in my fourth database shop right now, (ranging from big places to little places) and NONE of them have used one listener per instance. Hope this helps.