Re: Help to recover Oracle after NT crash

From: Rauf Sarwar <rsarwar_at_ifsna.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 16:42:20 -0700

srgjeb_at_hotmail.com (Steve) wrote in message news:<1ddec8f6.0206180404.1839f428_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi.
>
> Can anyone point me to the right place or provide specifics on how to
> recover an Oracle 8.1.6 database after an NT 4.0 reinstall. We are
> aware that we need to reinstall Oracle, and since we have all the
> previous Oracle files, there should be a way to recover the previously
> running database. Other postings have suggested using ORADIM but
> without details.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Re-installing Oracle will take you only half the way. You need to recover your database. Have you had a good cold backup before your system crash? If not then you are hosed otherwise if you atleast have the datafiles and redo logfiles, then you can easily recover. This all depends to what point you want to recover. To last commit point, then you should have been ARCHIVING...otherwise atleast to last good cold backup.
1) Recreate your instance using oradim. Use oradim -help to get parameter list.
2) Recreate control file using CREATE CONTROLFILE command from server manager,

   STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=<init.ora file path and name>    CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "<YOUR NEW SID>" RESETLOGS

      MAXLOGFILES <32>
      MAXLOGMEMBERS <2>
      MAXDATAFILES <1024>
      MAXINSTANCES <1>
      MAXLOGHISTORY <3630>
   LOGFILE
      GROUP 1 '<Redo Log file name and path 1>'  SIZE <SIZE>M,
      GROUP n '<Redo Log file name and path n>'  SIZE <size>M
   DATAFILE
      '<Full path and name of datafile 1>',
      '<Full path and name of datafile 2>',
      '<Full path and name of datafile 3>',
      '<Full path and name of last datafile>'
   CHARACTER SET <WE8ISO8859P1>;
   ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; Replace your values in the script. If database was shutdown abruptly (abort) and you were not previously running in ARCHIVE, you may have to use "alter database recover logfile '<Your old logfile/s>'" option to recover your database. Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 01:42:20 CEST

Original text of this message