MS-SQL+ASP into OracleDB+JSP convert

From: Marco G. <sds_at_abc.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:03:52 -0700

Hi all,

    Let me see if I can word this so it's not confusing. This is probably a FAQ, but couldn't really find it all together, so here it goes. Maybe you can point me in the right directions. I am currently a MS-SQL user creating ASP applications with Visual Studio... I am tired of my current environment and am looking into learning Oracle Database and JSP. I have just installed Oracle 9i Database Release2 and was reading the documents in the apache server that comes with it. First question, why does the DB product come with a full web server-Jakarta and everything? (neat , but ?) I thought Oracle9iAS was supposed to do that job, so second question is what's the diff in that aspect?

    Then I noticed something that looks really neat named BC4J. The release before Release2 (my first try) came with a sample BC4J site (OnlineOrders) that didn't really work but looked really enticing and now Release2 only talks about it (no sample site available). So question three is what happened to the BC4J sample in Oracle 9iDB that didn't really work, besides just moving to JDeveloper? The true question is more like: was it just out of place in the previous version of Oracle9iDB I tried? Was it supposed to work?

    I went ahead and installed JDeveloper to play/learn BC4J, went through some samples/online training, re-found OnlineOrders example, but it seems that I really need Oracle9iAS to *deploy* anything BC4J. So question four is: is that true? Question five: if so, why does Oracle9iDB come with docs talking about BC4J? Question six: if not true, what is in the OnlineOrders example that specifically need O9iAS as opposed to just O9iDB? Can you give me more details?

So there it goes! I'm really looking forward to see what I get back and ask follow-up questions! Thanks!

Best Regards,
-Marco Gaertner