Re: Oracle Desinger

From: Pete C. <peterc_7_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 08:46:28 -0700

willy_gates_at_hotmail.com (willy gates) wrote in message news:<4344f587.0206110038.742461d9_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello
>
> I am looking to develop a database for a small company I work for. I
> would like to use oracle but unfortunately Oracle have combined all
> their development tools into one huge package which I am concerned
> will be too expensive for our budget. Our other alternative is SQL
> server which is much cheaper.

You need to do a cost/benefit analysis on which database system to use. In order to that you need to first figure out what the database requirements are in terms of performance, security, scalability, etc. Once you have the requirements you can then evaluate the alternatives.  It may be that Microsoft Access fits all of your database needs or it may be that you need something quite more powerful and robust (i.e., SQL Server,Sybase, Oracle, etc).

> My question is: do I need Oracle Designer to design and develop the
> database? I can use Visio for ER diagrams but do I need to purchace
> Oracle Designer to get the DDL needed to actually build the database
> tables.

The short answer is - NO. You do not need any modeling tool to develop your database but it helps if you have one. Oracle Designer requires an Oracle database to run. Other tools such as Popkin's System Architect and ERwin also do a good job and will generate the DDL to build your database. Again, it depends on your modeling/documentation requirements. You can always manually code the DDL, DML, and DCL needed to build your database.

 I dont need the automated build features of the product. I
> quite like typing.
>
> Also are there any other good design tools out there.
>
> (I'm very new to all this as you may have guessed)
>
> thanks
>
> David

Good Luck ! Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 17:46:28 CEST

Original text of this message