Re: Oracle 8.0.5 client to Oracle 7.3.2 server connection

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:22:30 +0200

Eddie Azman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have problems connecting to an Oracle 7.3.2 server from an Oracle
> 8.0.5 client machine. I am able to do a tnsping and obtan a successful
> response from the server. However, whenever I use SQLPlus to connect
> to the server from the client I get the message ORA-01034: ORACLE not
> available.

<snip network config details>

a tnsping is nothing more than the reaction of the listener: "Yup, I'm out here". So your network config is right. Your ORA-1034 is a genuine Oracle error: your attempt to login failed because: 1034: Oracle not available.

Start oracle (and upgrade - 7.3.2 is not supported since last century, and was not known for it's stability - nor is 8.0, btw) Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 22:22:30 CEST

Original text of this message