Re: Symmetric replication - Parameters

From: David Simpson <dsimpson_at_dotcomsolutionsinc.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:23:49 GMT

Siddhartha,

Here is a tech note which discusses performance issues, batch operations and dealing with many replicated tables:
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/support/repgen/repgen_tn_replication_desig n.html

When I attended the Advanced Replication class, they told us that generally replication was usable for situations in which there were fewer than 400 transactions per second. Of course this is dependent upon the network connections between the machines, the amount of data in each transaction, how many other tasks are going on with the server and the overall performance of the server. It would be highly recommended to perform a prototype setup between a couple of servers to test as many of these variables as possible.

There is an application which can help you automate writing of the Replication setup/monitoring scripts:
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/downloads/demo_software/index.html

This app will give you some ideas of basic info you would require, such as Oracle version, grouping of tables and separate network interfaces for improved performance.

One of the critical aspects of Advanced Replication which needs considered is the setup of conflict resolution. An incorrect setup of the conflict resolution parameters will cause data divergence between the replicated systems - which is not desirable.
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/repgen/repgen_features_benefits.h tml

David Simpson