Re: IMPORTING TO 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 30 May 2002 00:38:24 -0700

Vissuyk_at_yahoo.com (Vissu) wrote in message news:<16b21687.0205291614.14aa32df_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> We are moving to 92 and want to migrate our data from an older
> instance. I want to redefine the table definitions for 92 (get rid of
> couple of columns that we dont really use and add partitions).
>
> How can I import the data exported from older instance if I redefine
> the table structure ?. What are my options here ?. Should I import
> first and then drop the unused columns ? I dont want to clone the
> database for the same reason.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Vissu

You can not import when changing the table structure. You can work around this by importing the source schema into a different user.
After a successful import you simply either issue create table as select <anything> from tempuser.<table_name>, you generate the indexscript from the export using the indexfile= clause and you run it on the final user.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 09:38:24 CEST

Original text of this message