Re: Extracting clob length data from an xml attribute using oracle xml packages

From: Sandeep Gupta <sandeep_bpl_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 May 2002 05:02:14 -0700

We have tried using Oracle PL/SQL XML packages to parse XML document and found it to work fine other than that it recursively goes on taking more and more time for the same parse operation. Probably internally uses JVM and keeps on taking more time for allocation of memory to create a 'DOM' model of the XML for parsing.

We developed an application package to parse the document (assumption: DTD is freezed) instead and used instr to lookout for tag start and end and substr to extract the values in between. A Oracle user would say that this are inefficient commands but actually our package is parsing the XML 4 times faster than the Oracle provided parser.

I am afraid I cant solve your problem whether a clob can be extracted in this way but hope that the above observation helps.

Regards
-Sandeep