Re: Linux Oracle Client

From: vasu muppalla <vasu_at_ipass.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 10:35:27 -0400

Raffa Edwards wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Just get the Oracle Install from www.oracle.com (unfortunately you must
> download the entire installation).
> During the installation process only install the client. Since you are
> only installing the client, you can ignore
> the kernel parameter setup.
>
> [The Oracle9i client is backward compatible. You will have to setup
> tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora.]
>
> --Raffa
>

> "Tony" <none_at_none.com> wrote in message

>> In the past, I was able to write unix shell scripts to pass sql
>> commands to the companies informix server on an aix unix box using
>> isql.
>>
>> Since then, we've moved to Oracle. And I maintain a few linux boxes.
>>
>> I would like to install Oracle client on a linux machine to be able to
>> run some sql off an Oracle 8i NT install over the network.
>>
>> All I seem to be able to find is info on how to install Oracle on
>> Linus and that it's difficult. I don't want to install the db, just
>> the client.
>>
>> Can I do what I want?
>>
>> Can anyone provide urls or info?
>>
>> Is there an easier way?
>>
>> Tony!

Oracle has the $hittiest installation around- for a commercial product you'd expect more polish and ease-of-use but postgres and mysql are easier to install and use !

But yes, oracle client is a free download- in earlier versions, the client was a separate download but now you need several GB on your HD to download oracle even to install only the client- bastards ! Received on Sat May 11 2002 - 16:35:27 CEST

Original text of this message