Re: 10 sec delay connecting to Oracle?

From: Steve Jorgensen <nospam_at_nospam.nospam>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 19:21:35 GMT

More on DNS resolution problems:

When I had the same problem with SQL Server 7, my experiments led me to the conclusion that name resolution attempts were happening in the following order. HOSTS file, DNS, LMHOSTS file, other SMB (Master browser, WINS, etc.). I was having the problem because all our systems were pointing to the DNS server at our ISP which had no knowledge of internal systems. I had not known there would ever be a reason to resolve local system names using DNS.

My stopgap solution was to add an entry to resolve the SQL Server into the HOSTS file on each machine. Eventually, I set up the DNS Server service on our NT/WINS server and configured it to get information about local machines from the WINS database.

--
Steve Jorgensen
Database application developer - available