Re: Which user owns a procedure call?

From: Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: 7 May 2002 03:33:42 -0700

ThanH,

hopefully you will get this - my work has just gone behind a ne firewall and NNTP (News) is no longer permitted, so I have to read and post from Google until further notice :o(

A PL/SQL procedure/function etc is owned by the user who created it. When called from any other user (which has been given EXECUTE privs on the proc) it runs as if called by the owner.

However, from 8i onwards (not sure which exact version of 8i) the proc can be created with AUTHID CURRENT USER tagged on to the end of the CREATE xxxx statement. In this case, any user executing the proc executes it as themeselves and not as the owner.

HTH Regards,
Norman.