Re: Trigger does not work after client upgrade to 8.1.7

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 14:01:43 +0200

justin wrote:

<snip>
> I have a global_name value of ora81.us.oracle.com, even though I
> changed db_domain to something different in init.ora the value doesn't
> change.Seeting global_names not true gives me the chance to name the
> link different but the host specified still get the domain attached.
> No clue where this value is taken from.
> Is it possible that I can only choose this when I create a new db?

No, you may alter it:
alter database rename global_name to 'ora81.justin.home'; The domain is taken from domain in your init.ora, which was us.oracle.com by the time you created the database. See:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a85397/sql_elem.htm#27775

> <snip>
>

>>>Where is this domain parameter specified that is appended to the >>>links?

Answered above

>>> If I change it what else will be affected?
>>>
>>Don't know - you know your situation.
>>

> No, I meant this more in general. Will all objects where the old
> domain was used be updated or will I have inconsistencies?

They will probably not be updated. If you defined a db link as

0ra81, the (default) domain was appended. However, the result is stored in the dictionary. You will have to re-define database links.

By altering the domain, you change the global database name. You ought to re-create the control files; see:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76956/create.htm#998024 Not much else I can think of.

hth, Frank Received on Sun May 05 2002 - 14:01:43 CEST

Original text of this message