Re: Trigger does not work after client upgrade to 8.1.7

From: justin <justin_at_home>
Date: 2 May 2002 11:18:05 -0500

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:51:49 +0200, Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote:

>justin wrote:
>
>> I use a simple trigger to keep a table in three databases synchronized
>> all worked fine with client 8.0.5 server 8.1.6.
>>
>> Now we are testing client 8.1.7 because another application needs it.
>>
>> The front end application is in vb (third party)accessing the db via
>> odbc.
>>
>> the trigger looks like this:
>> and I have two database links for mcct and mcc
>>
>> TRIGGER copy_ap
>> after insert or update on aptabelle
>> for each row
>> begin
>>
>> if updating then
>>
>> update aptabelle_at_mcct set
>> apraum = :new.apraum,
>> apmemo = :new.apmemo,
>> apfree = :new.apfree,
>> apnetadress = :new.apnetadress,
>> apkhfarefnr = :new.apkhfarefnr
>> where aprefnr=:new.aprefnr;
>>
>> update aptabelle_at_mcc set
>> apraum = :new.apraum,
>> apmemo = :new.apmemo,
>> apfree = :new.apfree,
>> apnetadress = :new.apnetadress,
>> apkhfarefnr = :new.apkhfarefnr
>> where aprefnr=:new.aprefnr;
>>

>> else
>>
>> insert into aptabelle_at_mcct
>> ( APREFNR, APNAME, APRAUM, APMEMO,
>> APFREE, APNETADRESS, APKHFAREFNR )
>> VALUES
>> (:new.aprefnr,:new.apname,:new.apraum,
>> :new.apmemo,:new.apfree,:new.apnetadress,:new.apkhfarefnr);
>>
>> insert into aptabelle_at_mcc
>> ( APREFNR, APNAME, APRAUM, APMEMO,
>> APFREE, APNETADRESS, APKHFAREFNR )
>> VALUES
>> (:new.aprefnr,:new.apname,:new.apraum,
>> :new.apmemo,:new.apfree,:new.apnetadress,
>> :new.apkhfarefnr);
>>

>> end if;
>> end;
>>
>> Now after the update I can still get the trigger doing it's job when
>> i do a manual update with toad or sql*plus.
>> But if the change is done in the vb front end application I get an
>> error and I can't save or make any changes at all.
>>
>> I updated the odbc driver to 8.1.7.6 but that did not solve the
>> problem.
>> Is there an default session limit, connection limit introduced as a
>> default with 8.1.7 that could keep this trigger from running?
>> Or is there a mistake and the 8.0.5 client just did not bother?
>>

>> Why can the local client version influence a trigger running on the
>> server anyways?
>>
>> Any suggestions where to search?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> justin
>>

>Any LOB's involved here? There are several bugs known
>with LOB's and triggers - search metalink

No Lobs Involved here, but the problem seems to be the database links I use.

I created the links with

CREATE DATABASE LINK mcc
CONNECT TO user IDENTIFIED BY "****"
USING 'MCC'; now what I get when I do a select * from user_db_links

is

db_link				 host
mcc.name1-name2.com 		mcc.name1-name2.com

and "-" is not allowed in database names

If I try to create a synonym I get an ORA-02083 (database name has illegal character 'string')

This domain is not specified in my client sqlnet.ora So this must be set somwhere on the server.

I can create and use the link in pure sql though. But it seems I can not create a synonym on it or use it with the client version 8.1.7.3, if I revert to 8.0.5 all works again. The server is 8.1.6.3

Where is this domain parameter specified that is appended to the links?
 If I change it what else will be affected?

thanks

justin Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 18:18:05 CEST

Original text of this message