Re: Oracle 8.0.6 for Solaris

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 17 Apr 2002 00:40:01 -0700

milang_at_ai.aiesec.org (Milan Garbiar) wrote in message news:<1dc0a53a.0204160241.3c61066a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Yo dudes!
>
> => I'm migrating application it's current setup in HPUX to a new setup
> with Sun Solaris machines;
>
> => We are using NAS 4.0 as an application server and we have decided
> not to upgrade to iAS 6.0. We chose the first one to avoid heavy
> changes in the system that would endanger it's stability.
>
> => Migration has been going ok, but now a new issue appeared that can
> endanger the whole process... Oracle;
>
> => Basically, the new setup with Solaris machines is already working
> ... The issue now is that we need an Oracle 8.0.6 Client version
> software for Sun Solaris, DESPERATELY. Why? Because we didn't upgrade
> our application from NAS 4.0 to iAS 6.0, we need the Client version of
> 8.0.6 because NAS 4.0 doesn't support the Oracle 8i database version
> that we are using now... That version will allow us to access the 8i
> database in the new machine and fully test the new setup.
>
> => We tried to reach Oracle but as stupid as it may seem they no
> longer support or provide stuff for 8.0.6
>
> So my questions is, out of desperation... Does any of you have access
> to a copy of this kind of Oracle 8.0.6 Client Software for Sun
> Solaris????
>
> thank you,
> Milan

=> We tried to reach Oracle but as stupid as it may seem they no
> longer support or provide stuff for 8.0.6

Question is who is stupid. Oracle notifies the user community by means of Metalink when a version is being desupported, usually more than a year before the actual desupport date.
If you can't upgrade (and I doubt whether you really can't because Oracle is downwards compatible, unless of course the vendor has hardcoded dll names, in which case I wouldn't have bought the crap anyway), there is Extended Assistance Support, and Extended Correction Support.
So before you start making comments like this, please make yourself acquainted with Oracle's policies and support options. Oracle 8.0.6 was also desupported a long time ago, you have been sleeping.

--
Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA