Re: CREATE DATABASE using OCI, is it possible?

From: rizzo2k_at_hotmail.com <(rizzo2k_at_hotmail.com)>
Date: 13 Mar 2002 12:55:52 -0800

> Last but not least, I still don't really understand what you are trying to
> do, so some (or all) of this may be very, very wrong advice indeed.

Hi Mark,

        Thanks for your help. We are looking into using "CREATE SCHEMA" and some other things, but here is a more in depth explanation of what we are doing. (Short answer is that something has been dumped in our laps and we are trying to make the best of it.)

        We are basically working with a search and retrieval API that uses an SQL storage mechanism. The person who developed this developed it against mySQL. Currently, each collection of information is stored in 4 or so tables, lets say index, words, fields, and blah. Typically, this collection might be populated by a web crawl, ie. pulling down all documents linked from a certain web page. There is an index step that stuffs this textual data into the SQL tables appropiately. When this process is started a database is specified. If this database does not exist, then he would create it. This is what was meant by "creating a database on the fly".

        Each collection of information will have a name. In the current mySQL-based implementation, there was a database associated to each name. Each database/collection would then consist of the same 4 tables just populated with different data.

        Based on what you and others have said, it looks like it would be best if we modify the existing search and retrieval API so that the table names are prefixed by the "collection" name. There will be a large number of these collections (4 tables for each collection). Moreover, there will be multiple users of the end application (There is just one "user" performing database operations, ie one oracle or mysql user). At some point in the future, individual users will be able to filter off certain documents from various collections to form their own collection.

        We expect that there will typically be between 100 and 2000 of these collections. The amount of text data being placed in these collections will vary from a couple megs to almost a gig. Once individual users are allowed to filter their own collections, we expect the number of collections to grow substantially.

        Any insight you have is appreciated.

Thanks Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 21:55:52 CET

Original text of this message