Re: SQL*Plus Envir

From: Tom Grenier <tom_at_sqlman.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:27:22 -0800

Des,

There are a whole bunch of commands you will need to learn to be a pro do ing
things like this.

The set linesize 100 will increase your line size, and if spooling to a report
that you are going to use in an editor that exceeds 80 columns it may wor k but
if you are looking at it on an 80 character screen it is still going to w rap.

If you want it pretty you probably need to define each column i .e. if you
have a varchar2(80) and only have 20 characters to display use COL UMN col1
A20 you can add how it word wraps or truncates, etc.

If you just want to look at the data, this will strip off the trail ing spaces
(I like the pipe delimiter but you can use anything for the | ):

select col1 || | || col2 || | || col3 . from table

In oracle there are many ways to skin the cat (e.g. the TRIM functions)  these
are just a couple of ideas. You will really need to look at the document ation
for all the ways.

HTH,
Tom