Re: Drop column in 8i?

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:10:44 -0000

Harry,

There are a couple of ways to go about doing this.

alter table TABLENAME set unused column COLUMNNAME;

This makes the column disappear from a logical point of view though in fact the data is still being stored. Be aware you will need to drop any indexes that reference this column and recompile any dependant packages. Now to get rid of it for good you could, but I wouldn't, issue a:

drop unused columns checkpoint 500;

I don't recommend using this as it will generate a swag of redo/rollback and lock the table for the duration. Also if it crashes you have to use:

alter table drop columns continue checkpoint 500;

to continue the drop.

Personally I would leave the table as is at that point until you next reorganise as using either an export/import cycle or the alter table TABLENAME move; command will not recreate the hidden column. If you must do it online use the move command as it is, in my experience, usually faster and cleaner than a drop columns command.

Kind Regards

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle Administration
www.brainbench.com