Problem with Oracle8i install on SUN

From: Cecil D'Souza <ceecil_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:28:23 GMT

Hello gurus,

I am attempting to install Oracle 8i on s SUN SPARC 20 at home. 9.1GB, 256 MB ram and Solaris 2.6 which I specifically need for an Oracle application later.

Here is the df -k of my system when it came

Mounted         File system             Kbytes
Used              avail          Capacity
on

/ dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 246663
123962 98035 56%
/usr c0t3d0s6 1189951
115256 975198 14
/proc proc 0
/dev/fd fd 0
/var c0t3d0s1 319679
55708 232004 20
/export/home c0t3d0s7 1189951 8408
1122406 1
/opt c0t3d0s5 492359
15006 428118 4
/tmp swap 328329
21876 306444 7
/u01 cot3d0s4 5039238
5 4988841 1%

I set up the pre-install tasks for oinstall, DBA, SYSOPER and oracle user accounts.

While installing oracle8i, I needed 4 mount points to be OFA compliant though not really necessary.
This is what I did as user root
mkdir /u01 /u02 /u03 /u04
mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s4 /u01 (as you can see in the df -k stats above)

Logged in as user oracle
I started the install and it asked for the mount point. I specified or chose /u01/app/orale/product/8.1.6.2.0

Everything seemed to go well but then it asked for the mount point or directory to install the DB files.
I can specify /u02 though it is not mounted, but I am not sure if there will be enough space because it is under root. As you can see from the

stats, root /  dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0        246663  Kb        123962
used       98035 avail        56%

What is it that I have to do to get this to work. The disk has 7 partitions by default. All have been used except /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s3 which I cannot see right now.

I cannot mount /u02 on /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s4 because /u01 is already mounted on it.

How do I proceed with this installation. Does any one have any clue or can anybody help or advice me as to how to proceed. I am not a unix guy as I work with Oracle clinical (pharma application).

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Cecil Received on Wed Jan 23 2002 - 11:28:23 CET

Original text of this message