Re: PK vs Unique index

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:37:23 -0000

Dirk Gomez <> wrote in message news:m31ygqhxag.fsf_at_colorado.arsdigita.de...
> > A primary key is much more then a unique index (doesn't even have to use
> > unique index actually)...
>
> Could you explain this in a little more detail please?

From memory:

A primary key constraint can use a pre-existing non-unique index to enforce the constraint. This can offer significant performance advantages as you can enable/disable the constraint without having to rebuild the index.

Doing this screws up import/export I believe. Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 01:37:23 CET

Original text of this message