Re: Version Confusion

From: Mark Parmenter <markp_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:28:13 GMT

Last I saw there was another version, Oracle Lite which is very different than all the other versions. It is meant to be used by travelling salesman types that call in and download current prices. Mostly a good interface to larger databases.

Personal oracle is a lot like the other databases except that Oracle Corp only wants you to use it as a single use database for development on the same machine that it is loaded on. However, it can be connect to remotely by up to ten (10) other machines. You create the instance the same way you would a workgroup or Enterprise Edition, it has a service, an initSID, and all the other facets of an Oracle database.

If you want to check out the software go to Oracle Technology Network at http://otn.oracle.com/index.html
This website is set up with the user in mind. Membership is free and you can download most software that you appear to be interested in. Not crippled but the real thing, complete.

Mark