DB architecture

From: (wrong string) éry <ducateg_at_info.bt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:42:47 -0000

Hi,

Here is a question about the database architecture in Oracle. What is the cost of having a database (and its service identified by its SID) running on a machine. I am interested in knowing the cost of disk space and computation.

The problem is that someone has designed a system for us that requires three databases (three different SIDs) to hold very few tables each. There is no problem of user restriction because virtually every user will have to have access to all three databases (admitedly the system is meant to run with one web user only).

My view is that there should be only one SID running and all the tables should be accessible under that service because it is more efficient for a disk space and computational point of view. It is also an easier user maintenance database approach. However, I am no Oracle expert, so I would not mind a few views about the efficiency issues in running three databases.

Many thanks in advance. Received on Fri Jan 11 2002 - 14:42:47 CET

Original text of this message