Standby db

From: Auro Meotto <meotto.auro_at_tiscalinet.it>
Date: 8 Jan 2002 02:43:30 -0800

Ok. Picture this: we are going to move our productive environment to a hosting provider in another country. The two sites can be connected via Internet. Target: same platform, same RDB version, same server model (or better).

We obviously need a way to move all our data and schemas to the new location, keeping in mind that the new db should be exactly identical to the previous one...

One solution, I guess, it's simply to use export/import, but it's not clear if we can afford downtime in the current productive environment.

I therefore thought of using a Standby db in the new location kept in sync with the primary one till the time of activation, where use of the current one is discontinued.

I'd like to know if I can create the standby db with the same db and service name at the new location without problems when it comes to operate it in managed mode for some time. I'm afraid the primary one might get confused (especially the listener) when I change the TNS configuration with 2 services with the same name in different locations.

Any comment or suggestion is welcome.
Thanks
Auro

Note: we use Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition on Windows NT4 SP6, 5 instances, no OPS. Received on Tue Jan 08 2002 - 11:43:30 CET

Original text of this message