Re: Schema Design Question ( Other Gurus Please jump on)

From: Kumar <kumar_kmk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2001 11:11:09 -0800

Hi Raghu
Your solution works fine for the problem I posted, but I think I need to think ahead what could be comming as data which makes this solution a little problamatic... ( Sorry I did not think of it before)

  1. Some inputs may have 30 fields and some have as little as 5 fields so if we assign 30 varchar columns I think it will be a waste of space for 25 fields and when i think data running into 1000's of records this might be unacceptable.Is there any wayway oracle optimizes without wasting space.
  2. As long as i stick to varchars it should be ok though some fields may be of size 1 ( varchar(1) ) and some varchar(1000) here there is a 999 penalty.
  3. What if one of the fields is a clob, or I have to store a image. This I may overcome by having a clob table and image table and store appropriate references. I think the first 2 I need a little thinking.

Hey I understand yours is a free advice, but then what do you think about these concerns.

Any thoughts. Received on Thu Dec 27 2001 - 20:11:09 CET

Original text of this message