I don't get 9ias!

From: Carl Mercer <cmercer_at_vibrant-1.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2001 06:35:49 -0800

OK, after spending two weeks on this stuff I have no idea what is going on. I have 9ias Enterprise on three CD's. I loaded it in its own ORACLE_HOME and configured the web server and Jserver. After some jerking around because the supplied jserv.properties and zone.properties files had invalid data, I got the Apache server and the Jserver up. I started running the demos from 9ias only to find out that 9ias is not compatible with connecting to 9.0.1 instances. The classes12.zip and runtime12.zip files loaded from 9ias are 8i versions. Using those classes causes an ora 600 error in a 9.0.1 instance. I had to replace the files in the 9ias area to get the JDBC demos working. The Corba and EJB demos just completely blew up because of class file differences (aurora_client for one). I could reset ORACLE_HOME to the 9i area and make the EJB demo but it would not run over the WEB because Apache and Jserv were started with the 9ias class files......

And... where is the "as" from 9ias. Where is the application server? Is it Apache with Jserv running? Is there a piece that I have not loaded... I only loaded 2 GIG, Oracle products can't be that small. Jdeveloper asks for a login to the Oracle application server?!?!? Login to what? Login to Apache... no. Login to Jserv... no..... I am lost.

To sum up....

Shouldn't a 9ias be compatible with a 9i database? Is it? do I have a configuration problem that causes aurora_client to not deserialize and classes12.zip to be 8i class files in a 9ias release?

What login is Jdeveloper asking for when it attempts to connect to the Application Server... What is the application server in 9ias?

Carl Mercer
cmercer_at_vibrant-1.com Received on Wed Dec 19 2001 - 15:35:49 CET

Original text of this message