Re: M$ developer (with begging bowl in hand) seeking advice on becoming an Oracle developer

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:20:58 GMT

If you are familiar with SQLServer then forget what you learned or be prepared to find out how Oracle does things (e.g. autonumber-> sequences, concurrency model is very different, transactions for the length you need them are good., stored procs returning result sets-> ref cursor., multiple databases->schemas) These things don't make perfectly. Read Thomas Kyte's Book (expert one on one Oracle) and go to his web site (http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:1:) daily and to search for info. Also go to otn.oracle.com and sign up free.

Read the Oracle documentation especially Oracle Developer's Guide. Use bind variables, brush your teeth after every meal...

Jim

"Hugh Doctorman" <hugh.doctorman_at_home.com> wrote in message news:gVwR7.52811$Wd.15771695_at_news1.rdc1.az.home.com...
> I'm an experienced developer who wants to escape the M$ circus; however,
 I'm