Re: Technical Capabilities

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:15:46 GMT

Where have you looked for technical specs? Have you tried Oracle's web site? You can go to Oracle's technical network web site and it has all the documentation - complete set with thousands of pages (maybe 10's of thousands of pages).

An Oracle database is limited to 50 petabytes (or OS limitation). That should be adequate for most uses. (a petabyte is 1000 terabytes)

"My wife, who is a DBA herself, seems to find that Oracle 9i is slower than most other DBs. I assume that the complexity of Oracle would be a bottleneck in performance. But other than adding new systems, are there performance tuning details I should look at in making Oracle 9i faster ?"

That's pretty nebulous. Faster or slower at what doing what on what hardware etc. Sounds like a typical FUD comment. That is nothing to back it up just some statement with basically no details. Did she use the run fast=true init.ora parameter? That's probably the problem.

Jim
  "Peter Tan" <petertan78_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3be7f4d5$1_at_news.starhub.net.sg...   What is the technical capabilities of 9i ? I couldn't seem to find any specifications for it. From what I saw from Sybase, I could see that its maximum size of BLOB is at 8 GB and maximum table is 4 GB. What abt Oracle ?

  My wife, who is a DBA herself, seems to find that Oracle 9i is slower than most other DBs. I assume that the complexity of Oracle would be a bottleneck in performance. But other than adding new systems, are there performance tuning details I should look at in making Oracle 9i faster ?

  Finally, our company is planning to launch an initative - to cover 300,000 users within 4 phrases, with each phrase lasting half a year. Each of the users will be given at least 40 - 50 mb of space, thus I would need around 15,000,000 mb or 15 TB of space.

  At each phrase, we would need to have procure new servers to accommodate these users. And the best way that I can think of is clustering. I am looking at a rack of clusters of HP LP1000r to store the information. But looking at it from my perspective, I found that each unit has only 109.2 GB of space. How am I going to consolidate all of these storage spaces as a "whole" and yet to maintaind data integrity and security ?

  What can Oracle do for me, in this problem ?