Export and Import Integrity Question

From: Steve <stevenmgarcia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2001 11:18:03 -0800

We currently have a database instance that contains several indexes for all of our tables. The vast majority of these indexes names are auto-generated by Oracle (they have names like SYS_00200, SYS_00201, etc.). These names are obviously generated by some internal sequence.

Suppose I were to export (exp) the entire schema these tables and indexes reside in and then import (imp) them into another database instance elsewhere. Then suppose I add new indexes to this database that just got the import. Do I have to worry about name collision when oracle auto-generates a name for the new index?

Or to put it another way, Is the oracle export smart enought to transfer the current state of the auto-generation sequence for these internal names so I don't have to worry about any name collision if I add a new index? Does it make a difference if I do an export of a particular schema, or of the entire database?

Of course all of this could have been prevented (I suppose) if we created all of our indexes with our own names, but we haven't done that and we have to deal with our current situation.

Thanks, Steve Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 20:18:03 CET

Original text of this message