Re: recreate init.ora after adding memory

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 29 Oct 2001 15:28:47 -0800

a.aldus_at_modality.nl (Aad Aldus) wrote in message news:<2320ed5.0110291116.233404ba_at_posting.google.com>...
> I installed Oracle 8.1.7 on a 256 MByte Windows2000 Server. The
> database and init.ora was automatically created and tuned. I just
> added 512 MByte extra memory. How can I let Oracle recreate the
> init.ora file taking advantage of the extra memory?
>
> Thankx,
> Aad Aldus

Oracle (at least in 8i) doesn't tune itself automatically. You need to changing parameters manually (and bounce the database) However I would strongly urge you to conduct measurements before you start taking rash measures.
You need to measure the hit rate of the buffer cache and the effects on increasing it, etc, etc. All this is laid down in the Oracle Performance Tuning Manual.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Oct 30 2001 - 00:28:47 CET

Original text of this message