Oracle Efficiency Question.

From: DCCoolBreeze <aa_at_bb.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:21:12 -0400

Lets assume that I have a proC application that performs some oracle operations. The execuable is located on the same server as the database so there are no network transport issues. The question is will I get better performance if I convert the oracle parts of the application to PL/SQL? The application consists of SELECT, INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE and, of course, consists of condition statements.

This is my feelings. I will experience better performance for the following reasons:

  1. PL/SQL is compiled and the ProC is not so I will save the compile time
  2. PL/SQL works in the oracle address space whereas my application works out of it's address space so Oracle will have to move results from its address space to the application's address space.
  3. The application consists of objects and therefore it contains additional instructions connected to objects whereas PL/SQL does not have this additional overhead.

First, am I on track and if so, will I save a significant amount of time converting to PL/SQL or will the savings be negligable. Now I know that the answer to this question is a function of the hardware and the amount of transaction processing I am performing so I will state that I am running on a 24 processor system and the application processes about 1 billion records a day.

Oh yes, one other question. The application performs the same oracle transaction using bind variables, so Oracle will continue to use the saved statement. How long does Oracle hold a compiled transaction statement??? Received on Sun Oct 07 2001 - 01:21:12 CEST

Original text of this message