Re: data integrity constraints: objects vs database

From: Steve Long <steve-long_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:20:51 GMT

you both are correct in your points. contraints in the database do significantly slow down performance. they also make databaes maintenance, such as imports and mass loading much more difficult, since in these cases constraints generally must be dropped and recreated. if one takes a cue from Oracle itself, note that oracle applications, such as Financials and Manufacturing, have few, if any, constraints in the database for the reasons stated by your DBA. if Oracle won't use them for their own applications, what does that tell you ?