B-Tree and oracle question...maybe a tough question

From: DCCoolBreeze <aa_at_bb.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:54:26 -0400

I have an unusual question. As I understand, Oracle uses b-tree to insert records on indexed fields. Is there an algorytmn that I can use to calculate the time it will take to insert a record given a number of records that are currently in the database...for example...on the average how long will it take to insert a record in a table that contains 1,000,000,000 indexed records. Given my rudimentary understanding of B-Tree, would there not be a time where it will basically take the same amount of time to insert a record regardless of the number of existing records in the table?

I will actually be working with a billion records so I want to know how long it will take to insert a record into a table with this number of indexed records. I know that I could load that number of records and time the inserts but I currently do not have the facilities to do this...

Any help??? Received on Tue Aug 14 2001 - 02:54:26 CEST

Original text of this message