Newbie Q: Enhancing of User Friendly-ness Oracle Portal 3.0

From: Shane Arnott <shane.d.arnott_at_boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 05:48:05 GMT

Hello,

Let me pre-fix this with the statement that these questions may be totally stupid, but I've spent time on the Oracle Portal web site and not found too much real documentation other than alot of acroynms. I have some specific questions which I'd appreciate some direct answers on, or maybe even some advice on how to ask better questions. Thanks for your time, pls read on:

For purposes of simulation we have a requirement to: 1, be able to hold specification data of aircraft and aircraft system attributes that amount to approximately 30 fields per system where an aircraft could be made up of 5-10 sub systems. 2, Associate Document data with certain countries including studies 3, Have a workflow system, such that a simulation analysis study goes through the appropriate verification from different users before it is published.
4, Automatically generate the skeleton of a report including various information from aircraft and aircraft systems

Issues for Req #1:
Due to the high numbers of attributes tools like WedDB out of the box didn't have a nice user interface for moderately large amounts of data. We have seen the user interface components in tools such as Lotus Notes that seem to be user friendly such that data fields can be easily tab separated. With Oracle Portal are there plug in user interface elements we could use to make the data entry process friendlier?

Issues for Req #2:
This one seems straight forward

Issues for Req #3:
Does Oracle Portal have a workflow plug-in?

Issues for Req #4:
Does Oracle Portal have a configurable document generator?

Pls email direct aswell as post back to the group.

Thanks again,

Shane Arnott
Technical Fellow
Technical Lead, Systems Analysis Laboratory Boeing Australia, 363 Adelaide St, Brisbane QLD 4001 Email: shane.d.arnott_at_boeing.com
Ph: +61 7 3306 3320
Mob: +61 (0)401715353
Fax: +61 7 3306 3640 Received on Mon Jul 30 2001 - 07:48:05 CEST

Original text of this message