Re: what is faster sqlloader or import

From: Deepak Mathur <deepak.mathur_at_oracle.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2001 03:07:47 -0700

Syed,

I am not a DBA, but will give some advice here ...

I see from your script that you have a DMP file with you, which is compressed. I
will not recommend SQL* Loader, because you will first have to generate an ASCII
file with a select statement, and then run sql* loader to upload the target table. By that time, your import will finish.

Follow these points:

  1. Keep the *.dmp file uncompressed beforehand. You are trying to uncompress and send the output to import, this will load the CPU dramatically. So first uncompress completely, then import - don't pipe it. I hope space is not the constraint...
  2. Keep the buffer high. 64000 is TOO LOW. I do not know what memory your DB is using or your system has, but keep as high as possible - suggest at least 4-6 MB (buffer = 4000000)
  3. disable/drop the index during import. when import is finished, re-create it. Index creation will take some time, but keeping an index active when importing 40 million rows is a performance killer.
  4. Fire your import job at a time when system is relatively free - both CPU and memory. This could be a night job or something.
  5. Do keep commit=Y and indexes=n options as they are...

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Deepak