Re: Designing a Reporting Database

From: BP Margolin <bpmargo_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:25:59 GMT

Todd,

When I mentioned OLAP I wasn't specifically talking about Analysis Services, although I can certainly see the confusion. OLAP applications have been implemented on relational platforms, so I was asking whether the application itself was originally OLTP, and now the same set of tables are being considered for DSS / OLAP purposes.

It this is indeed the case, then I would certainly suggest, as I mentioned in the earlier post, seriously considering not hosting both OLTP and DSS / OLAP applications on the same server in the same database.

SQL Server 2000 does indeed support indexed views.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.