Re: How to check Oracle is running with ps

From: OracleMS <lostpwds_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2001 09:21:46 -0700

Hi Chris,

The ps -ef command will list all the background processes for the instance CLFY. This does not mean that the database itself is up and does not indicate a fully functional database. There may not be many scenarios where this might happen (instance is up and database is down), but your check is not fault proof. You might want to write a quick and dirty shell script where you connect to the database using sql*plus as a normal user (not internal) and checking the return code after you exit. If the variable $? (in Korn scripting) is not zero, then your database is down.

Murali Sreedhar