Re: ORACLE SORT

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:00:05 GMT

You can sort on columns that are not indexed. The sort happens after the data is retrieved. The only time I can think that an index would help is if the index contained all the columns in the query and the order by clause. What will effect performance is the sort_area_size and the retained_sort_area_size parameters. If they are too small then Oracle will have to sort to disk which is much more expensive than sorting in memory. Jim