Re: Users relationship to a schema...or Why can't I "see" things?

From: Ruudboy <ruud.schilders_at_home.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:14:44 GMT

Hi,

If I understand your question correctly, you have this user DATA_OWNER who owns tables, and you granted rights on those tables to another user. Now you expect to see those tables under this other user in the schema browser. That does not work, because in the schema browser you only see the tables OWNED by the user. To get a list of the tables that a user has rights on, you can select TABLE_NAME from ALL_TABLES when logged in as that user. This lists all tables that are visible for that user. When selecting TABLE_NAME from USER_TABLES you see all tables OWNED by the user you are logged on with.

If you want to be able to select from those tables without having to type DATAOWNER.TABLE_NAME in the query, you should create synonyms for the tables in the schema of this other user (create synonym table_name for data_owner.table_name). Or , if there are alot of users who need this, you could create public synonyms for this. In this way, any user who has rights to see the table can just use TABLE_NAME to select from it. (create PUBLIC synonym table_name for data_owner.table_name)

Hope this helped,

Regards,

Ruud

--