Re: HELP ! ! ! temp tablespace

From: Ketan Shah <shahkn_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 02:54:46 GMT

You are out of luck !! You will have to let the DROP TABLESPACE complete. Although u think that the command is hung, it is working for you. The reason it is taking so long is that because of the size of your temp tablespace, you might have hundreds of thousands of extents in that tablespace and if it is not locally managed tablespace then oracle needs to adjust the uet$ and fet$ tables and a whole lot of other things. Now this is happening on system tablespace and that is why you might be getting very poor performance for everything else. Even if you do a shutdown abort, and do a startup, oracle will continue to finish its work of dropping the tablespace. My advise for what its worth - Let the thing finish. You can stay assured that the drop tablespace is running and if u call Oracle support, they can help you trace oracle and make sure that the drop tablespace is running. Additionally, keep looking at uet$ and fet$ tables for this tablespace. And - do not do a lot of shutdown abort.

Hope this helps.

Ketan.