Re: How drop tablespace if db in mounted mode

From: <devnull50_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 May 2001 12:37:11 GMT

In article <MPG.1555f352244313c9989683_at_news.ne.mediaone.net>, Joseph Abramson  <bccinfo_at_visto.com> writes:
>Hello all:
>I cannot open database (only mount) because, I believe, corrupted
>tablespace.
>How can I drop tablespace without opening database? Is it possible?
>Thank you
>Joseph

Joseph,

In mount mode, alter the datafile of the tablespace that's corrupted like so...
alter database datafile '/whatever you path to datafile is' offline;

This will pull the datafile for the tablespace offline, and you should be able
to open the database. Then you can run the drop tablespace command. If you have
archiving turned on, you could recover the tablespace. If you don't, then your
tablespace would need to be recreated, and you will lose all the data contained
within it.

Hope this helps.

Evan S.
Oracle 8i OCP