Problem w/ORACLE-FTP

From: <derman_at_optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:16:41 GMT

I've been having a very frustrating back-and-forth with Oracle Corp. on this issue, and I'm thinking that perhaps I can get some help from some other Oracle users:

The problem is with Oracle's FTP server (for Oracle patches, etc.) at ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com. They're using some very old FTP server software, and they've got an incredibly long login welcome-text banner. Something about that login banner with that FTP server is causing a conflict with my firewall (Checkpoint Firewall-1) -- I think it's got something to do with the login banner being multiple packets, and there's something funky about the way those packets are being pushed...

Anyway, the result is that I cannot log on to that FTP server because my firewall is rejecting those funky packets and terminating the connection. I can log on from my ISP at home, but at my office, it's no dice. We could modify the rules in the firewall, but I'd rather not do that. My partner-DBA has the same problem when he tries to log on -- even when he uses his home-ISP, with no firewall on his home system (maybe his ISP is using some kind of firewall that brings out the same problem).

I initiated a TAR with Oracle last month on this issue, and they've been giving me a really bad run-around. They refuse to even acknowledge that there is a problem. I can't even get them to acknowledge that the welcome-text on their FTP server is unusually long. I even forwarded a message to them from the maker of their FTP server software -- telling all users of that software that they must upgrade to a newer version because of significant security problems with that version... Oracle won't hear me.

Can you please do me a favor?: Please try to connect to ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com and see if it will let you in. I suspect that there will be a significant number of people who can't get in (especially if you're behind a firewall). Please respond to me, and let me know how it goes -- and if possible, please tell me what firewall software you're using, if any, and the name of your ISP.

Thanks so much.

--Jon Received on Thu Apr 19 2001 - 20:16:41 CEST

Original text of this message