Re: first day of any given week

From: Steve Bell <swayne.bell_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:59:51 GMT

Hi Peter,
I know there are a number of fairly esoteric date functions. One that comes to mind (I don't have a reference book at the moment) is

NEXT_DAY(d,char)

It returns the date of the first weekday named by 'char' after the supplied date 'd'. For example,

SQL> SELECT NEXT_DAY('15-SEP-99','TUESDAY' )   2 FROM DUAL; NEXT_DAY(

21-SEP-99 SQL>
This returns the date of the Tuesday following Sept 15, 99...it's not exactly what you asked for but...

Hth,
Steve