VB/Oracle

From: Ed Alvarez <livewire1_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:53:13 -0500

Greetings,

I have an application built in Visual Basic 6 which currently connects to an MS-Access data file via ADO (ActiveX Data Objects). I primarily use SQL statements to help populate ADO recordsets with data. I also have extremely few, perhaps 1 or 2 instances, of MS-Access-specific coding built into the actual SQL statements themselves.

At some point in the future, I will be asked to move to an Oracle back-end. I already know of two issues that I need to consider in modifying my app. to make it Oracle-ready: 1) I currently use GUID numbers, which Oracle handles differently. 2) I will have to make my app. ready to address additional concurrency and data connection errors that may pop up when talking to an Oracle DB.

Other than these issues, do you feel that my app. will have to undergo a MAJOR re-write to make it Oracle-ready? I hope the info. above is enough to make a reasonable judgment. Any guidance is well appreciated. TIA.

Ed A.
livewire1_at_erols.com Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 02:53:13 CET

Original text of this message