Creating a Table Type of objects that include a Table Type.

From: don <chambers_at_inquiregroup.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2001 08:27:09 -0600

I need to create a Type as a Table of a user defined type in which that type also has a Table type. Is this possible?

For example,
I have a list of projects so I create the folowing table table to store them.
CREATE TYPE project_t AS TABLE OF VARCHAR2;

Each employee has a project so I create the employee as follows: CREATE employee_t AS OBJECT
(

   ID NUMBER,
   EmpName VARCHAR2(36),
   Project project_t
);

This allows me to have an employee object in which each employee can have multiple projects.

I now need an object for the departments which are made of many employees so I must create a table type of employees using the following statement:
CREATE TYPE empList_t AS TABLE OF employee_t; I get follwong error:
PLS-00534: A Table type may not contain a nested table type or VARRAY.

I need this because my next step is to create view that is the department and containts a list of employees.

How can go about doing this? Am I missing something? Is there a work aroung?

Thanks,

   Don Received on Mon Mar 19 2001 - 15:27:09 CET

Original text of this message