Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:05:43 +1100

"Mike Moore" <hicamel_at_mail.home.com> wrote in message news:1Jrq6.13164$zV3.1205087_at_news1.frmt1.sfba.home.com...
> According to "ORACLE8i DBA Handbook" on page 589,
> "In the case of SYSTEM tablespace, you can declare the extent management
> as 'local' in the 'create database' statement. If you create the SYSTEM
> tablespace
> as locally managed, all of the rollback segments must be created in a
> locally
> managed tablespace. However, any of the other tablespaces in the database
> can have dictionary-managed extents. The use of local extent management
> with a specification for local size can ensure that space within the
> tablespace
> is reused effectively."
>
> It would have been nice if they had shown an example of the 'create
> database'
> syntax for doing this but I imagine that can be easily found in an Oracle
> SQL
> book.
>
> Mike

Thanks for this Mike. I will have a play this afternoon, and see if I can't get it to work.

Though quite why anyone would want to bother with this in real life is frankly beyond me. It's only going to end up with a bigger SYSTEM tablespace than otherwise, that never fragments (and since you're not supposed to create and drop stuff in there for yourself, fragmentation (beyond that which Oracle itself introduces) wouldn't have been a problem in the first place).

I think the quote you included sums it up perfectly: local management 'ensures that space within the tablespace is REUSED effectively". Who re-uses space within SYSTEM?

Regards
HJR