Re: Huge export. On-the-fly compression

From: Allen Shatzer <cdaspr1_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:50:07 -0500

If you are using unix, you can do the following (syntax assumes HP-UX):

# create named pipe

mkfifo expdat.dmp

# compress the output from the named pipe

cat expdat.dmp | compress > expdata.dmp.Z &

exp .....

# Wait for background process to complete compression of export file

wait

You can also use the same technique with either gzip or the zip/unzip shareware utilities, of course with different syntax for those commands. FYI - zip will provide much better compression than compress. I use it where I work for this purpose (as well as others).

Hope this helps,

Allen